Tax Issues with Camper Workers

I have heard that all work campers must be treated as employees and I have a very small, underscore small, RV park in Texas and do not have any employees.

Do you have a place on your web site that addresses that issue?

Comments for Tax Issues with Camper Workers

Click here to add your own comments

Employees or Self-employed Workers

First the disclaimer: I'm not an attorney, accountant, or tax export and therefore can't give you professional advice. For legal or tax advice, please contact the appropriate professional.

The way I understand it, RVers who work at private campgrounds are either employees or independent contractors (self-employed people who own their own business). You can find information on how to determine the difference on the IRS website. Here's a link to a page there titled, "Independent Contractor (Self-Employed) or Employee?" that explains it:,,id=99921,00.html

More Tax Info

Find more questions, answers, and comments about working RVers and taxes at the following links:

~ Income Taxes

~ Tax Consequences of Volunteering

More Articles About Taxes

The relationship between taxes and RVing is a popular topic with our readers, so we've added a section listing the tax related articles for you.

Index of Articles About RVing and Taxes

Taxes on RV Rent for Work Campers

I am a part time RV'er and a tax preparer with a national tax prep company.

This is from the IRS website. File form 1099-MISC for each person you have paid during the year at least $600 rents, services (including parts and materials), prizes and awards, other income, health and medical payments,... the list goes on, and on....

When the 1099-MISC is filed, the IRS knows you received the income. It is income, even if no money changed hands. You received the value of the rent in exchange for your work, thus you earned the income.

You may be required to file a tax return, depending on the total of all your income, interest, retirement or Social Security received in the year. The amounts change every year, so contact the IRS or a tax professional to determine if you need to file. The small amount of tax you may owe is nothing compared to the penalties and interest the IRS can assess for failing to file.

Volunteering And Taxes

Well, the day that I volunteer to provide hours and hours of service, and then be expected to file tax forms so I can pay taxes on a camp site provided during that volunteer service...

Guess what?

Goin' fishn'....

I just do not need the extra expense and the aggravation of dealing with the IRS.

What a loss of service to many agencies.

Editor's comment: Volunteering for a non-profit agency is different than bartering with a for-profit campground.

Click here to add your own comments


Need a New Surge Protector Do We have A WorkersonwheelsDeal For You.

Enter the coupon code


and save 10% on  Hughes      Autoformers website.

To link to Hughes Autoformers Website and save 10%