Depreciation On RV

(Ed asks...)

Can I claim depreciation on a recreational vehicle if the employer requires one for me to work for him? Would there also be other income tax deductions for the RV and related expenses?

Coleen, the editor replies:

My guess is that it depends, at least in part, on whether you have another place to live or if your RV is your only home. As is the case with so many of these tax questions--because I am not an accountant, tax attorney, or other tax expert--the best I can do is to suggest that you confer with a qualified accountant or tax professional.

If you are a full-time RVer and your only home is your RV, the IRS looks at your RV differently than if you have another home. That doesn't necessarily mean that you own another home; it could include an apartment you rent or a condo you lease.

If you have another home in addition to your RV, you can usually deduct things that you cannot legally deduct if you are a true full-time RVer with no other home.

We do have a section of articles on our website that are written by an accountant, tax attorney, and working RVer. Read articles on our website by CPA and tax attorney Martin Shenkman.

See our tax information section.

Go to the Workers On Wheels Work for RVers and Campers blog.

Click here to post comments


Need a New Surge Protector Do We have A WorkersonwheelsDeal For You.

Enter the coupon code


and save 10% on  Hughes      Autoformers website.

To link to Hughes Autoformers Website and save 10%