Visit Bob and Coleen's RV Life and Travel Website

Build a Business You Can Take on the Road - USA and Canada


(Shirley from TX asks...)

I have a Texas cosmetology license. Would it be possible to perform hair services - cuts, washes, styles, perms, coloring, etc. - as we travel? Would I need to get a license to work in each state?


Cosmetology School and Licensing

Hi Shirley,

The licensing rules and regulations for practicing cosmetology vary among the states. This is true for hair styling, nail technology, esthetics, barbering, and electrology. Some states have regulations, including registration, for skin care and hair braiding, as well.

Many states do have reciprocity. With reciprocity, one state acknowledges your training, testing, licensing, and experience from another state. The schooling requirements usually have to be at least as stringent in the state with your current license as they are in the new state you'd like to work.

When looking for information on this, I found that some states specify information for home salons and mobile salons.

For specifics about a particular state, check with the licensing agency for that state.


Go to the Workers On Wheels Work for RVers and Campers blog.

Click here to post comments

Click here to return to Questions and Answers.

Love to Color? Download 5 FREE Coloring Pages Now!

Workers On Wheels Newsletter
(WOW E-zine)


We email it to you.

Start Your Business Today for $19.95.

Route 82 RV Park

Half Price Camping

Passport America, Save 50% on Campsites

One Minute Business

Fun and Useful Stuff for Campers and RVs and Campers and RVers....